yo yo yo search it!

Friday, June 01, 2007

a mom (whose blog i read because she is a knitter)

writes a letter to her daughter amanda, on the occasion of amanda's 18th birthday

it's a PHENOMENAL letter

and stephanie & amanda.............GRRRLS KICK ASS!

Dear Amanda

On this day 18 years ago, I was feeling pretty cocky. You were born and I sincerely thought I was equipped. I really did. Even though you were my first, I knew my way around babies and I wasn't afraid of them, and I was even pretty sure that I had fantastic baby tending skills. Moreover, this parenting thing seemed to me like it was going to be pretty straightforward.
I mean, I knew it would have its challenging moments, but overall, I thought I was going to be really good at it, and that it would be something I excelled at. I was pretty sure that with all of the books I had read and how much research I had done that I would have a great grip on it. I thought that those parents who were losing it all over the place were just not working hard enough at it. I was going to be a relaxed mother.
I think, darling girl, that we can both agree that I have been the exact opposite of relaxed in every way that there is to be not relaxed, and I now I really don't know whether to apologize or demand thanks for that. I don't know what went wrong with my plan, my plan for how easy it was all going to be, but when you screamed your way through your first night on this earth, despite everything the midwife and I could do to comfort you, I started to wonder if I hadn't received a standard issue baby. .............................


2 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

When my son was born I thought the same thing, that I was going to be a cool dad giving my son, and later daughter, the same breaks I wanted from my parents and grandparents when I came to live with them. Boy was I wrong, Spoilboy had to wear a riding helmet on his bike, not watch so much TV, stay close to shore at the beach. And Miss Wiggles, well lets just say that she has given me more gray hair than I thought possible given that I pride myself on being such a laidback guy. Parenthood, its not for the faint of heart.

Unknown said...

yeah i know it's NOT for the faint of heart. that's why i am THE perfect............AUNT