yo yo yo search it!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

mad men

i LOVE this show. i watched all of the available episodes. it's on amc of all channels. i find it hard to describe but marcia g. yerman did a darn good job in the following article. (it was on demand, that's how i watched it. however, i don't know if the season of episodes is over or what. it's no longer on demand).
it DOES show racism, sexism, anti-semitism and everything in between. yet the show is NONE of these things. it makes you cringe and draws you in at the very same time

AMC's 'Mad Men': Sexism and the '60s
By Marcia G. Yerman, AlterNet.
When I first saw the previews for Mad Men on cable's AMC, I was sure it wasn't going to be my cup of tea. Too many smug white men chain smoking, drinking and enjoying their power. Women with Marilyn Monroe figures were on the fringes, minorities were invisible. In short, I didn't think there was much to engage me. But I decided to watch the first episode, followed by "The Making of Mad Men," with creator, writer, and executive producer Matthew Weiner discussing his vision. I became totally hooked.
Here was the type of show that invariably got yanked from network television for being edgy and cerebral. As I watched the series unfold, I realized that the show could be a window for today's young women, illustrating the conditions that shaped previous generations of feminists, from whom they often feel estranged.........


madmen on amc

2 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

I don't own a television, but AMC, TCM and Trio are all I miss.

Unknown said...

i have a tv but don't have cable. i watch at my pops. i am hooked on the wire, brotherhood, mad men, dexter and some that were cancelled (john from cinncinati, dead like me, oz and on and on). they were all on showtime and hbo i think.