yo yo yo search it!

Sunday, November 15, 2009

late last week, on my way home from work


i heard aron gaudet interviewed. the preface was mr gaudet along with his wife gita pullapilly (along with other people i'm sure), made a movie about people who greet returning and leaving troops at an airport in bangor (you caint get they-ah from he-ah) maine

here's a portion of what i heard first:

from the way we get by

..........POV: And how did you come upon the subject of troop greeters?

Gaudet: Joan, one of the troop greeters profiled in the film, is my mom. When I was in Michigan and she was in Maine I would call home and check on her often. After she retired, she really didn't have a lot of hobbies and a lot of things that were keeping her active. One day I called home and she wasn't there, and then suddenly I couldn't get her on the phone, and I was uncertain about what was going on. When I finally talked to her, she said, "Call my cell phone." I didn't understand why she even had a cell phone, and she told me that she was greeting troops at the airport and going out at all hours of the day and night to do it. So when I went home for Christmas that year, I wanted to see exactly what had energized her at 71 years of age. I went to greet a flight with her, and I was immediately hooked. The amount of emotion at these troop greetings was immense, and it felt like there was a story there.........


pic: from the way we get by. the three main people featured. jerry mundy, joan gaudet and bill knight


watch the way we get by IN FULL

of course every single thing i have ever seen on pov was wonderful (those i've seen that is. since it's on so sporadically, i'm sure i've not seen them all). i knew this was going to be good too from the interview i had heard. by luck (and luck alone) i turned the tv on yesterday late afternoon (no, i still don't have a tv. i was at my dad's house) and it was on. when i say it was spectacular i mean it. i was in the hearts and souls of joan and jerry and bill.

watch it online until december 12th. please have a box of tissues handy (and it's MORE than that. sure it does well you up, but it's so much more)


Technorati Tags:, , , , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

No comments: