yo yo yo search it!

Monday, October 12, 2009

don't ask-don't tell

here is one man's hell

it should NOT be like this. in or out of the service. when we can't treat each other with respect and kindness, we will never be able to respect our OWN selves


I Didn't Tell. It Didn't Matter.
Trying to serve his country, a young man faced bigotry and abuse

By Joseph Rocha

I was 18 years old when I landed in the kingdom of Bahrain, off the coast of Saudi Arabia, in the winter of 2005. It was the first time I'd ever left the continental United States. My joints ached after more than 24 hours of travel, but I knew that a new life of service and adventure awaited me on the other side of that aircraft door.

This was the day I had been dreaming about since I'd enlisted in the Navy a few months before, on my birthday. I loved my country, and I knew that I was ready to prove myself in action.

I also knew that I was gay.

However, I chose to put service above my personal life. My understanding of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy was that if I kept quiet about my sexuality and didn't break any rules, I would face no punishment. I was wrong.,,,,,,,,

No comments: