yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

what do chimney sweeping and using a tanning bed have in common?

they are both a no no

(we didn't need a study to know about tanning beds. i have yet to understand why people use them. my friends use them. i ask them why and i don't get a good answer. years ago i stopped going out in the sun. i am not a fair woman, but i put two and two together and decided it may be late but i WAS going to protect my skin. as some of you are aware, i'm dealing with a bout of skin cancer on my arm, now. my doc thinks he got it all but we're still in the 'we're waiting to see' phase. anyway, DON'T SIT IN THE SUN, DON'T SIT IN A TANNING BED. just DON'T)


Study: Tanning beds as deadly as arsenic


LONDON – International cancer experts have moved tanning beds and other sources of ultraviolet radiation into the top cancer risk category, deeming them as deadly as arsenic and mustard gas. For years, scientists have described tanning beds and ultraviolet radiation as "probable carcinogens."

A new analysis of about 20 studies concludes the risk of skin cancer jumps by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before age 30. Experts also found that all types of ultraviolet radiation caused worrying mutations in mice, proof the radiation is carcinogenic. Previously, only one type of ultraviolet radiation was thought to be lethal.

The new classification means tanning beds and other sources of ultraviolet radiation are definite causes of cancer, alongside tobacco, the hepatitis B virus and chimney sweeping, among others.

The research was published online in the medical journal Lancet Oncology on Wednesday, by experts at the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, the cancer arm of the World Health Organization.................

2 comments:

Malicious Intent said...

I have never been a sun worshiping kinda gal. Despite having a mix of Native American with my Irish roots in my, afraid the Irish roots took over the skin tone and I fry like an egg in the sun. Learned early on when I was younger that sun burns suck, that I don't tan...I simply burn, peel, back to being white. So why bother. Hey, I work year round on this pasty white translucent skin tone...it's a sacrifice, it is costly, but it is the price of beauty damnit!

I am almost 40, (next month) NO wrinkles on my face at all.

Unknown said...

i'm not fair at all. one of the reasons i was shocked about the skin cancer.

the dermatologist that's seeing me really really really hates tanning beds. he keeps making horrible remarks about them and that was before this article came out. now i see his point. although, i've never used one and sure don't plan on it