yo yo yo search it!

Sunday, January 03, 2010

stray, who stops by my blogs from time to time

and comments from time to time, directed me to the following piece. it's EXCEPTIONAL (in a word)



Fuck You, I Won’t Do What You Tell Me!
by Sweary


Just to get it out of the way, I’m going to start by telling you that I’m not surprised that the Bishop of Limerick has had to resign over his atrocious mishandling of child sex abuse cases. Nor am I shocked that a parish priest in Kerry has publicly put forward his support for a convicted sex offender, despite not having been in court when evidence against the man was examined. And I’m hardly flabbergasted at the news that a Cork-based Presbyterian minister has condemned an LGBT-friendly carol service as “crossing the line”. This is what I’ve come to expect from Irish men of the cloth - blinkered stupidity and a depressing distance from the sense of justice and morality that we suppose them to be weighted with. So no need to bitterly reply, “What else did you expect?” I expected nothing else. That doesn’t mean this shit isn’t worthy of comment, though.

But dismissive comment. We’re an enlightened people - no, let me stop you there before you snigger and snort. We are. We live in times of Information and Education, where knowledge is prized and available to everyone. Libraries are cheap, internet access is cheap, informed cop-on is cheap. We’ve grown up, have we not? So why the fuck do we need these moral guardians, these purveyors of a fear and loathing badly masked behind snippy concern and quivering shoulders? No one needs to preach to me guff about the true path. My moral compass is just fine. As should yours be....................



Technorati Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


No comments: