yo yo yo search it!

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

wow


this is quite an unusal story (shout out to boing boing). at first i was taken aback. men don't get pregnant. then i thought to myself, our bodies, our selves. they are OUR bodies, we can choose what we do with and to them. it would not be my choice but that's me. i have very strong feelings about adoption (as in if we can love a child, why does she or he have to come from OUR loins. why can't she or he come from another's loins? as in why do people go through the torture and expense of fertility treatments. i don't mean to offend, but i never understood WHY it's so damn important a child has to have YOUR genes)



By Thomas Beatie

To our neighbors, my wife, Nancy, and I don’t appear in the least unusual. To those in the quiet Oregon community where we live, we are viewed just as we are -- a happy couple deeply in love. Our desire to work hard, buy our first home, and start a family was nothing out of the ordinary. That is, until we decided that I would carry our child.
I am transgender, legally male, and legally married to Nancy. Unlike those in same-sex marriages, domestic partnerships, or civil unions, Nancy and I are afforded the more than 1,100 federal rights of marriage. Sterilization is not a requirement for sex reassignment, so I decided to have chest reconstruction and testosterone therapy but kept my reproductive rights. Wanting to have a biological child is neither a male nor female desire, but a human desire. .................


................Our situation sparks legal, political, and social unknowns. We have only begun experiencing opposition from people who are upset by our situation. Doctors have discriminated against us, turning us away due to their religious beliefs. Health care professionals have refused to call me by a male pronoun or recognize Nancy as my wife. Receptionists have laughed at us. Friends and family have been unsupportive; most of Nancy’s family doesn’t even know I’m transgender. ..............

No comments: