yo yo yo search it!

Sunday, May 14, 2006

a bit more background on a story i posted the other day (this sounds like a horror story)

carol fisher's actual account of what initially happened to her:
Brutalized & Arrested in Cleveland for Posting "Bush Step Down" Posters

The following is a first-hand account of police harrassment and brutality against a World Can't Wait organizer in Cleveland. If anything like this happens to you, let us know asap! Contact info@worldcantwait.org.

My name is Carol Fisher, and I am on the staff of Revolution Books in Cleveland OH. At the bookstore we have been immersed in building and supporting the initiatives of World Cant Wait. Yesterday, 1.28.06, while putting "Bush Step Down" posters on telephone poles along a major thoroughfare on a sunny Saturday afternoon, I was brutalized by Cleveland Heights police, charged with 2 counts of felony assault and held incommunicado under police custody in the hospital! This outrage and others like it must be exposed and opposed by all who hate the direction that the Bush regime is taking this country and the world.


Here is what happened:


I had set out from my house with a full agenda, to contact lots of people and get out materials about our upcoming Cleveland event to Drown Out the State of the Union address, and the call to march around the White House on Feb. 4th. My first stop was the an area known for its community of artists and progressives, where I stapled up posters for blocks and was greeted warmly by those who saw and appreciated what World Cant Wait is doing. I talked to an artist, and a Palestinian store owner who took fliers to distribute to customers.........
.............I have osteoradionecrosis in my jaw, resulting from radiation treatments for cancer. My jawbone is slowly deteriorating, is very fragile, and doesnt heal well. I am 53 years old, not exactly a spring chicken. A hand comes down again to push my chin against the concrete. By this time there are four cops on the scene. My hands are tightly cuffed behind my back. They lift me up and shove me onto a parkbench and shackle my legs. I am still calling out, telling people what this is about. One of the cops says to me, "Shut up or I will kill you!", "I am sick of this anti-Bush shit!" "You are definitely going to the psyche ward." Then somebody calls the EMS, and a fire squad shows up. The cop superviser appears and puts his finger in my face: "I dont like it when people treat my men like this and if you don't obey the law you will suffer the consequences."...........

and from the current the world can't wait

Update: on May 11, 10pm, Carol Fisher was released from jail, after word got out over the internet and many angry phone calls and emails went to city officials. We'll send out more info when we have it. In the meantime, this is an excellent development. But it's also NOT over. We don't know what the judge and other authorities will do next. Carol's sentencing date is June 2. She still faces 3 years in jail and thousands of dollars in fines, all for posting a "Bush Step Down" poster. We plan to appeal the verdict and challenge all the gross violations of her rights. [read more]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's disappointing to hear about but not surprising. People are polarized. Rationality goes out the door. I do hope she is declared free to speak.

Unknown said...

yes i agree about people being polarized. however, people in positions of power must remain neutral in some situations like the police AND the judge. they MUST follow the letter of the law (why you ask when our king doesn't???)

i don't want to live in a police state

Anonymous said...

and for pill-popping slut-monkeys like Limbaugh and Tom Delay, they get appointments to turn themselves in and mug-shots by Glamour Shot photogs.

Sometimes I want to punch someone.

Unknown said...

rick, i'm non violent by nature, BUT i know what you mean about wanting to punch someone. i DO have fantasies

glenda, damn huh! the world can be very ugly