yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

by the time i get to arizona (remix) and NSFW

FINAL_By The Time I get to Arizona.mp3



via reality sandwich
Paul D. Miller aka DJ Spooky

........In the wake of Republican Governor Jan Brewer's anti-immigrant law, me and Chuck D were rappin' and we decided to put together an update of his classic track "By The Time I get To Arizona." Anyone who knows about hip hop from the early 90's remembers John Mccain's unwillingness to endorse creating a local version of Martin Luther King's birthday. The update here is a 21st century look in the rear view mirror. The cliché that "those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it" still holds sway in our hyper amnesiac culture. I remixed D.W. Griffith's infamous film "Birth of a Nation" with a bit of Public Enemy in mind, and later on, they named an e.p. with the same name as my project. Me and Chuck D have done several projects in the past around progressive, non knucklehead hip hop. (Check out my album, Drums of Death [http://itunes.apple.com/album/drums-of-death/id59388498].)

Please feel free to download this track and pass it around. We are the media.

By the way, this is a mashup, and it's basically not really for sale. I just took a riff from Philly Sound (www.funkadelphiarecords.com), and flipped it. The result, is what you hear here. It's free, and open. No $!!................

2 comments:

Lemmy Caution said...

I love the original "By the time I get to Arizona". Really is what Rap music SHOULD be but so often is not.

Unknown said...

looks like the song link doesn't work from my blog. but if one clicks the reality bites link, the song is there. you can and should d/l it for free EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE RAP