yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

an article worth reading.

this is pretty intense but a good read. it's written by a straight, ex-mormon, atheist which makes it all the more interesting

i can't pretend to know what it's like to be so fearful and angry (or is that guilty) at oneself that you'd go to a 'conversion' camp like this. i understand gay is NOT in league with a lot of christian sects. i understand gay is NOT in league with simple day to day living (you know what i mean. i mean it's not necessarily accepted by the neighbors). i also know you can't change who you are

What Happened When I Went Undercover at a Christian Gay-to-Straight Conversion Camp
By Ted Cox

I don’t remember exactly when I felt his erection pressing into my back. It might have been while he whispered in my ear, “Long ago, you were the Golden Child. But, somehow, that Golden Child was hurt, and you put up a wall to protect yourself.” Or it might have been when other men in the room broke out in song:

How could anyone ever tell you
That you’re anything less than beautiful?
How could anyone ever tell you
That you’re less than whole?

I sat on the floor between the outstretched legs of a camp guide, my head leaning back against his shoulder. The guide sat behind me, his arms wrapped around my chest. This hold was called “The Motorcycle.” Five men surrounded the two of us, their hands resting gently on my arms, legs and chest.

There were about ten other groups like this sitting on the floor in the darkened room: one guide giving “healing-touch therapy” while the surrounding men rested their hands on the receiver. Some men were held in the Motorcycle position. Others were turned towards their guide, cradled the way a parent would hold a sobbing child who had just scraped her knee on the sidewalk.........

No comments: