yo yo yo search it!

Sunday, October 05, 2008

uh oh.........

McCain-Palin Rally in Anchorage is a Whole Lotta Empty Chairs, Gosh Darnit!


AKMuckraker


Once again, there were duelling rallies here in Anchorage. The McCain-Palin rally was held in the just-completed Dena'ina Convention Center in downtown Anchorage. The Obama rally was held outside, just a couple blocks away, at the Delaney Park Strip.

One would think that a Republican rally celebrating the hometown girl, in her very very red state would have drawn a huge crowd, and that the Obama rally would be nothing more than a few brave intrepid souls with a couple signs shivering by the side of the road. One would be wrong.

The Obama rally was all set up and running when I arrived - tents, face painting, t-shirt sales, voter registration, postcard writing to swing states, a huge stage and sound system. By 1:00, there were more than a thousand people milling around with signs, kids, dogs and huge smiles. This was definitely a feel-good place. Hundreds lined the roadside waving signs to appreciative honking motorists, and hundreds more milled around the tent area. Anchorage mayoral candidate and former legislator Eric Croft got up and spoke, so did Kat Pustay who's heading up the Obama campaign in the state. Then came Ethan Berkowitz, Democratic candidate for the U.S. House seat currently held by Don Young. Ethan welcomed his "fellow revolutionaries". The crowd went wild.

I looked at my watch. I had decided to take a stroll down the block and check out what was happening with the other rally. It was after 1:30 and I knew if I didn't get to the McCain Palin rally soon, I'd never go. So I ripped myself away from all the positive energy, and hurried over to the Dana'ina Center. Three people stood outside waving signs. I figured I had to smile, so I did. "Come on in, we're having a rally!" one of them effused. I took a big cleansing breath, and in I went.

I just had a feeling this rally wasn't going to have as big a crowd as the Obama rally, because the rally that was held for Palin herself, when she was in Anchorage a few weeks ago only had about 500 people. But I walked into the room, and I really was stunned. I felt like I had just entered an empty chair convention. It was really bad. I actually felt sorry for the organizers for a minute, before I snapped myself out of it. A head count yielded about 250-300 people. Clearly they had been hoping for more.............

No comments: