yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

i can't believe i forgot ALL about her







until i came across this article The Aesthetic Is PersonalThe Short of It
By Barry Schwabsky



"Full recognition came late to Louise Bourgeois"--so wrote Peter Campbell of The London Review of Books when her vast retrospective, which has now moved to the Guggenheim (through September 28), opened at Tate Modern in London last fall. It's the same thing nearly every reviewer said, and it's what I'd always heard about Bourgeois's work from the moment I became aware of it more than twenty years ago. I suppose the validity of that judgment depends on just how "full" recognition has to be before it becomes full enough as well as how soon it comes before seeming late. But by most reasonable standards, the received tale of Bourgeois's belated recognition is exaggerated. .............



she influenced me in my younger day. she was beautiful (to me she sure was) AND she wasn't afraid of sex or portraying sex OR of being a woman in the 'art world'.


image of ms bourgeois - mfa

image of her spider - p base
top photo - telegraph co uk

No comments: