yo yo yo search it!

Thursday, January 10, 2008

if you can, wear orange tomorrow

(for the record, i think terrorists INCLUDING DOMESTIC TERRORISTS SUCH AS THOSE WHO BLOW UP ABORTION CLINICS, should be locked up and have the key thrown away. for the record, i believe in the geneva convention and the constitution of the united states of america. for the record i believe in habeus corpus. for the record i do NOT believe in torture)

"We do not condone torture. I have never ordered torture. I will never order torture."— George W. Bush

Torture and indefinite detention are shamefully un-American.WEAR ORANGE January 11 and protest the shame that is Guantánamo Bay.




On January 11, we are calling on everyone opposed to torture and indefinite detention to WEAR ORANGE to symbolize their sadness and disgust with the national shame that is Guantánamo Bay.
Download the CLOSE GUANTÁNAMO Toolkit now to find out how you can organize for January 11 at home, in your office, on campus, in your community, and online. Learn More About Guantánamo >> .........



Text by Andrew Sullivan, Photos by Louie Palu

In his famous essay “A Hanging,” George Orwell wrote of witnessing an execution in British-run Burma:
It was about forty yards to the gallows. I watched the bare brown back of the prisoner marching in front of me … And once, in spite of the men who gripped him by each shoulder, he stepped slightly aside to avoid a puddle on the path. It is curious, but till that moment I had never realized what it means to destroy a healthy, conscious man. .........


A member of the U.S. military reflected in rainwater in a detainee recreation area in Camp One. An arrow gives the direction and distance (12,793 kilometers) to Mecca for Muslim detainees who wish to worship. A leaked logbook of the interrogation of Mohammed al-Qahtani, a high-value detainee, records the following techniques: he was interrogated for 18 to 20 hours a day for 48 of 54 days; he was doused with water and kept in a room air-conditioned to induce hypothermia; he was hooded and menaced by a dog; he was injected with fluids and forced to urinate on himself. All of these interrogation methods were personally approved by then–Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my country makes me ill right now. ill.

but I don't own anything orange

Unknown said...

yeah orange is a tough color especially for a man. tshirt perhaps? socks? tie?

Anonymous said...

nothing . . . because

I'm an Oklahoma Sooner fan . . . Crimson and Cream, baby!!

and our rivals are Texas and Oklahoma State . . . both have Orange as their team color.

So, I have no orange in my wardrobe.

I know I know, it's irrational and totally a guy thing. Guilty.

Unknown said...

one of my favorite parts of saving grace (a wonderful show staring holly hunter) is when they feature the rivalry of ok and tx. wat up wit dat? i know it's like my beloved bosox and those devil yankees