yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

my friend azure sent me an email yesterday

something that happened to her and i asked if i could share it on my blog. i've changed locations and names but it warmed me to the bone. i told her if everyone was like this kid, there would be far fewer problems in the whole world.


I had an encounter today that was rather touching. Actually had to fight back tears.
I have a friend who teaches elementary school here in South Beach. Every few weeks or so, I pop in to read to his class. Today was quite fun as I read one of my favourite childhood books.. Where the Wild Things Are.
After the reading I said my goodbyes before departing. One very sweet little boy approached me and told me that I'm a very good reader..good with voices and characters. He then..lol.. asked me if I date black men. I did my best to manage a straight face telling him that I was a bit too old for him. He.. William.. explained that he was inquiring for his father. He continued on to tell me that his mother had passed away a few years ago. His father is raising two children as a single parent. William expressed what a wonderful father he has. How he works very hard, but is always home to prepare meals, help them with classwork, plays basketball and football with them and truly is a loving father. William told me that he believes that his father is a bit lonely and sad and certainly misses his wife. He concluded by telling me that I am very nice and pretty and just thought he would ask his question as he considers me the kind of person who would care for and love his father.
Tears again.. just from attempting to share this. This from a 7 year old...

No comments: