yo yo yo search it!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

leonard cohen-musican of and sad tale of the day


i grew up with leonard cohen. i love leonard cohen. i listened to him, sang along with him, read him. he inspired me. he crept into my dreams. he soothed me. he upset me. he stimulated me (in many ways)

Cohen 'unlikely' to recover money
Singer Leonard Cohen is "unlikely" to recover $9.5m (£5.4m) which a court has ruled was stolen by his ex-manager.
Kelley Lynch, who worked for the musician for 17 years, has failed to respond to allegations that she plundered his retirement savings.
Ms Lynch, who was fired by Cohen in 2004, refused to return photographs and memorabilia despite a court order.
The 71-year-old's case against Ms Lynch claimed that he was left with funds of approximately $150,000 (£85,592).
Cohen's lawyer Scott Edelman said of Ms Lynch: "She's hard to get in touch with. I don't know where she lives and I don't have a phone number for her.
'Creative endeavours'
"We don't know what she did with the money. But she knows what's going on because she leaves me with phone messages at all hours," he added.
Mr Edelman also said that an attempt to recover Cohen's possessions from her home with a truck and a police presence was unsuccessful.
Ms Lynch was unavailable for comment.
A Superior Court judge in Los Angeles granted the default order in favour of Cohen earlier this week.
A second person named in the legal action, tax expert and lawyer Richard Westin, reached an out-of-court settlement with Cohen last month, the details of which were not disclosed. .

Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
I loved you in the morning, our kisses deep and warm, your hair upon the pillow like a sleepy golden storm, yes, many loved before us, I know that we are not new, in city and in forest they smiled like me and you, but now it's come to distances and both of us must try, your eyes are soft with sorrow, Hey, that's no way to say goodbye. I'm not looking for another as I wander in my time, walk me to the corner, our steps will always rhyme you know my love goes with you as your love stays with me, it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea, but let's not talk of love or chains and things we can't untie, your eyes are soft with sorrow, Hey, that's no way to say goodbye. I loved you in the morning, our kisses deep and warm, your hair upon the pillow like a sleepy golden storm, yes many loved before us, I know that we are not new, in city and in forest they smiled like me and you, but let's not talk of love or chains and things we can't untie, your eyes are soft with sorrow, Hey, that's no way to say goodbye. Written by Leonard Cohen, Stranger Music Inc. (BMI).

Teachers
I met a woman long ago her hair the black that black can go, Are you a teacher of the heart? Soft she answered no. I met a girl across the sea, her hair the gold that gold can be, Are you a teacher of the heart?Yes, but not for thee. I met a man who lost his mind in some lost place I had to find, follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind. I walked into a hospital where none was sick and none was well, when at night the nurses left I could not walk at all. Morning came and then came noon, dinner time a scalpel blade lay beside my silver spoon. Some girls wander by mistake into the mess that scalpels make. Are you the teachers of my heart? We teach old hearts to break. One morning I woke up alone, the hospital and the nurses gone .Have I carved enough my Lord? Child, you are a bone. I ate and ate and ate, no I did not miss a plate, well How much do these suppers cost? We'll take it out in hate. I spent my hatred every place, on every work on every face ,someone gave me wishes and I wished for an embrace. Several girls embraced me, then I was embraced by men, Is my passion perfect? No, do it once again. I was handsome I was strong, I knew the words of every song. Did my singing please you? No, the words you sang were wrong. Who is it whom I address, who takes down what I confess? Are you the teachers of my heart? We teach old hearts to rest. Oh teachers are my lessons done? I cannot do another one. They laughed and laughed and said, Well child, are your lessons done?are your lessons done? are your lessons done? Written by Leonard Cohen, Stranger Music Inc. (BMI).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent (the songs that is, not what's happened). i recently stumbled onto "That's Enough Love" and it touched something inside of me that's taken me very long to recognize. Hope he gets his million.

Rory Shock said...

Yeah, I dig Leonard ... although this is bad news, I was relieved because reading the beginning of the post, I thought he'd died ... poor bastard, he really got hosed ... hopefully he can gig up enough cash to live like a human ,...

enigma4ever said...

Thanks for posting on this....I LOVE this guy...and no one ever plays him anymore....He really got screwed by his manager, I can't help but think that because he was in a Buddhist monastary at the time the funds were manipulated, that she thought he would never know or pursue Justice...

Now I will be humming him all day...and I can't decide whether I should go get some of his Cd's or would the money even reach him?

Love you Blog....see you have Divine down below- I will have to sit here a spell...quite a feast today..

Graeme said...

I like rory, at first thought he died. you had me worried for a minute.

i hope he gets his money. it is sicking how shitty artists sing songs about putting platinum on their teeth and they get millions upon millions, but someone who is an actual talented artist gets ripped off. totally not fair

vanx said...

Leonard is my man. Just look at him. Just look at the TABLE, for Pete's sake. What a horrible, mundane affair. Things like this always happen to guys like Leonard. An incredible artist.

Anonymous said...

Yet another reason to buy more Cohen CD's.

He's one of the best. I hope he wins in the end.

Unknown said...

i'm so happy you all love him too! you've made my day. thanks

Anonymous said...

Well, I also love Leonard Cohen but not like some of your girls out there. I knew and loved the woman who supposedly fucked him over -- better than he did, in some ways, and probably more times in the sack. And I think he had it coming, frankly. If it weren't for her, the best albums of his career would never have happened. She saved him from being another washed up, borderline sociopath abuser-pop-star like Phil Spector, whom Cohen subtly tries to differentiate himself by always recounting that story that puts himself on the wrong end of Spector's pistol -- and yet they're so similar, really. Both alpha-male Jews in Hollywood blessed with extreme talent, extreme ambition and extreme skill in using women (also known as "muses"). Oh, and did I forget to mention. Spector and Cohen both have violent tempers and are into rough sex. But then again, so is every fucker in Hollywood these days.

There's much more to the story than any of you two-bit Cohen groupies will ever realize, unless maybe I sell the bloody thing to McLean's for a large sum. A very large sum. It's getting temptinger and temptinger.

Unknown said...

hey anonymous i'm NOT a two bit cohen groupie. just in case you don't read that here, i'm going to post it