yo yo yo search it!

Friday, March 26, 2010

we found my grandmother's record

at ellis island. my cousin kept it (i think i'll ask for a copy). but noni (it's nona usually, but we always called her noni) left me her wedding ring. i was surprised and absolutely delighted. she died at 102. she saw the 1800s, the 1900s and she died shortly after 2000. i know a bit about all of my grandparents but i sure do wish i had asked and learned more.



“Becoming American”: Claiming Whiteness

by gwen
Mary, writer of the fabulous blog Cooking with the Junior League, sent in an episode of the PBS series Faces of America. The episode, titled “Becoming American,” looks at the immigrant origins of various celebrities (Meryl Streep, Stephen Colbert) in the period of massive immigration to the U.S. from about 1820 until 1924...............

by the way, you can search ellis island records online here

(just did a search for the hell of it and found some relatives arriving from 1892 to 1920. COOL)

2 comments:

stray said...

I love how Gates tells Elizabeth Alexander that she's a direct descendent of "JOHN the FIRST of ENGLAND!!"

Dude, there was only one, so you can just say King John. Also, there was only one for a reason, so I'd skip that bit and go directly to Charlemagne.

Unknown said...

which of course will have me thinking of steely dan all day