yo yo yo search it!

Monday, March 23, 2009

i thought this was interesting

and if it's true, his magazine SHOULD be shunned (although it's meant for sports millionaires so it's not a question of ME shunning it.)

Sports Mag's 3 Strikes: Racist, Sexist, Homophobic

Gabriel Voiles

Journal-isms writer Richard Prince is highlighting (3/19/09) an article in the current issue of GQ headlined "You Think Your Job Sucks? Try Working for Lenny Dykstra"--the title of which might be an understatement, considering some of its reporting therein:

A photo editor's unflattering portrait of baseball-player-turned-financial adviser Lenny Dykstra as a racist, sexist and homophobe has prompted an African-American NBA official to call for a boycott of Dykstra and the magazine he produces.

In the upcoming April issue of GQ, already online, Kevin Coughlin recounts his experience working for Dykstra's glossy magazine, the Players Club, which offers athletes financial advice as it touts a luxurious lifestyle.

"At one meeting, Lenny goes off on how a particular layout looks 'faggy'--despite the presence of a gay page designer in the room," the piece reads. "(Later, Lenny says to me: 'Did you see the look on that fag's face?') On another occasion, I field a call from Lenny about potential cover subjects while I'm at home; Lenny's on speaker when he proudly states, for both my wife and me, that 'nobody can call me a racist--I put three darkies and a bitch on my first four covers.'"..............

here's the link to the gq article

No comments: