yo yo yo search it!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

not only did he play


dr zefram cochrane but his politics and my politics are similar. i've always liked him as an actor (he can be NASTY as evidenced in l.a. confidential BUT HE'S a DAMN FINE ACTOR).

from the suicide girls we have an interview


W: James Cromwell vs. George Bush Snr.


There's no misunderestimating James Cromwell. The 68 year-old actor, who came to prominence in the 90s with star turns in the popular Babe films and critically-acclaimed performances in L.A. Confidential and RKO 281, stands an incredible six foot seven inches tall and has a distinct, authoritative voice -- a combo that continues to make him one of the hardest-working character actors in the business.

A longtime left-wing political activist, Cromwell's sweet spot is putting his own spin on historically significant figures; his resume includes portrayals of Lyndon Johnson (in RFK), S&L crook Charles Keating (The People vs. Larry Flynt) and Britain's controversial Prince Philip (The Queen), among others. This week, his latest historical character governs the big screen as he takes on the role of 41st president George Herbert Walker Bush in Oliver Stone's W., which chronicles the unlikely rise to power of his son George Walker Bush (played by Josh Brolin), who became president number 43.

The busy actor recently dialed up SuicideGirls during an airport run to discuss the ins and outs of the role and to give us his thoughts on the knife-edge our democracy currently exists on.

Ryan Stewart: I'd like to hear about your first meeting with Oliver Stone, to discuss this role. How did that go?
James Cromwell: Well, it was Josh's idea. He sort of turned his nose up at it, but Josh said, "No, have a meeting with him." So we met at a hotel -- Oliver was late -- and then he sat down and said to me, "You know, I offered this part to Warren Beatty and Harrison Ford, but it's probably better to have someone who is not as well known, blah, blah, blah." And I don't expect anything more, because I've auditioned for him before. Then Josh shows up -- and Josh is delightful -- and Oliver is delightful too. He said, "I understand your politics are a little to the left ..." I said, "A little does not describe it." And he said, "Well, how are you gonna feel about playing Bush?" And I said, "You know, I'll do my best." So, I think he liked that Josh and I hit it off -- Josh knew instantly that it was the right thing -- and they needed somebody of my age and somebody of my height. I bring something to it that I think they wanted in the picture. They knew, at least I hope, that I would try to make him as human as possible. He's a man who made humongous mistakes, the biggest of which was his son, and is now basically as powerless as the rest of us to change the course of the history his son has created for us..............
image from: mother jones

No comments: