Americans were responsible for Karadzic's well being
Radovan Karadzic and former US negotiator Richard Holbrooke had signed a deal at the end of 1995, Serbian media said, adding that it entered into effect in 1996.
The Karadzic-Holbrooke pact called for Karadzic to give up leadership of his political party and to drop out of political life in return for his already existing war crimes indictment being scrapped, local media said.
The exclusive document is made up of four chapters. In the first part of the deal, Karadzic undertook to quit political life.
The second part of the deal envisioned the obligations of the US government i.e. to provide security for then Bosnian Serb leader, to provide funds and accommodation. The then US administration also undertook not to meddle with the members of his party's presidency.
According to the deal, the then US government undertook to provide $600.000 in local currency for Karadzic. The government also granted Karadzic a residential facility at a location previously agreed. The government also tasked at least six bodyguards to take care of Karadzic's safety...............
Karadzic protected by US until he broke 'deal': Belgrade report
BELGRADE, Aug 2, 2008 (AFP) - Bosnian Serb wartime leader Radovan Karadzic was protected by the United States until a CIA phone bug caught him breaking the terms of his 'deal', Serb newspaper Blic reported Saturday, quoting a US intelligence source.
Partly echoing what Karadzic himself told the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in his opening written submission, the paper claims Karadzic was secretly granted immunity in return for keeping a low profile.
"Karadzic, indicted for genocide and war crimes, was under the US protection until 2000, when the CIA intercepted his telephone conversation that clearly proved he personally chaired a meeting of his old political party," the daily quoted a "well-informed US intelligence source" as saying...............