yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

when i grow up i'm going to be.......

this article is far too important to ignore. ESPECIALLY if you have grrrl children. however, i'd recommend it to everyone.

just yesterday i was sitting next to a man (in a pub i frequent) trying to hook into wifi. i told him it wasn't working (i KNOW it wasn't working) but he proceeded to try to hook up anyway (fine, i guess i COULD have been wrong - but i KNEW i wasn't). anyway, one of the staff asked him if he indeed got through to the net and he said, 'no'. she then asked him what the problem was and he said, 'well, i don't know if i can answer you without being too technical'. i effing went through the roof and of course but in and said ' well if she had a penis, could she understand you then'????. (oh, he was none too pleased, but then again, NEITHER WAS I)

please understand ms orenstein has NOTHING against princesses. she tries to make that point several times. she has issues (as do i) with how we are training our grrrl children and our boy children. training them to either be "number 1" (boy) or "spolied" (grrrl).

it's fairly long, but please DO give it a read:

What’s Wrong With Cinderella?

By PEGGY ORENSTEIN
I finally came unhinged in the dentist’s office — one of those ritzy pediatric practices tricked out with comic books, DVDs and arcade games — where I’d taken my 3-year-old daughter for her first exam. Until then, I’d held my tongue. I’d smiled politely every time the supermarket-checkout clerk greeted her with “Hi, Princess”; ignored the waitress at our local breakfast joint who called the funny-face pancakes she ordered her “princess meal”; made no comment when the lady at Longs Drugs said, “I bet I know your favorite color” and handed her a pink balloon rather than letting her choose for herself. Maybe it was the dentist’s Betty Boop inflection that got to me, but when she pointed to the exam chair and said, “Would you like to sit in my special princess throne so I can sparkle your teeth?” I lost it.
“Oh, for God’s sake,” I snapped. “Do you have a princess drill, too?”
She stared at me as if I were an evil stepmother.
“Come on!” I continued, my voice rising. “It’s 2006, not 1950. This is Berkeley, Calif. Does every little girl really have to be a princess?”
My daughter, who was reaching for a Cinderella sticker, looked back and forth between us. “Why are you so mad, Mama?” she asked. “What’s wrong with princesses?”..........


..........Mooney has a point: There are no studies proving that playing princess directly damages girls’ self-esteem or dampens other aspirations. On the other hand, there is evidence that young women who hold the most conventionally feminine beliefs — who avoid conflict and think they should be perpetually nice and pretty — are more likely to be depressed than others and less likely to use contraception. What’s more, the 23 percent decline in girls’ participation in sports and other vigorous activity between middle and high school has been linked to their sense that athletics is unfeminine. And in a survey released last October by Girls Inc., school-age girls overwhelmingly reported a paralyzing pressure to be “perfect”: not only to get straight A’s and be the student-body president, editor of the newspaper and captain of the swim team but also to be “kind and caring,” “please everyone, be very thin and dress right.” Give those girls a pumpkin and a glass slipper and they’d be in business. .......

........It’s hard to imagine that girls’ options could truly be shrinking when they dominate the honor roll and outnumber boys in college. Then again, have you taken a stroll through a children’s store lately? A year ago, when we shopped for “big girl” bedding at Pottery Barn Kids, we found the “girls” side awash in flowers, hearts and hula dancers; not a soccer player or sailboat in sight. Across the no-fly zone, the “boys” territory was all about sports, trains, planes and automobiles. Meanwhile, Baby GAP’s boys’ onesies were emblazoned with “Big Man on Campus” and the girls’ with “Social Butterfly”; guess whose matching shoes were decorated on the soles with hearts and whose sported a “No. 1” logo? And at Toys “R” Us, aisles of pink baby dolls, kitchens, shopping carts and princesses unfurl a safe distance from the “Star Wars” figures, GeoTrax and tool chests. The relentless resegregation of childhood appears to have sneaked up without any further discussion about sex roles, about what it now means to be a boy or to be a girl. Or maybe it has happened in lieu of such discussion because it’s easier this way........

2 comments:

Beach Bum said...

After reading your post I have to add this concerning my daughter Miss Wiggles. About a week ago she had been acting a little bratish running around causing a little more than the acceptable havoc we are use to. Finally I broke away from my chore picked her up and placed her back at her desk so she could continue coloring. I told her she belonged to me and that she need to listen and behave. Her eyes got wide, she crossed her arms and looked back up to me and strongly said:
"Daddy, I belong to myself!"
After being told off and corrected by a four-year old I went and sat down and called it day. But I can't tell you how proud I was. She does not take guff from anyone.

Unknown said...

my father had ALL daughers (i am his first born, if you can imagine what type of saint that man is)

one of my favorite quotes in the entire universe (kahlil gabran:)

Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself... You may house their bodies but not their souls, for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams."

i said it before and i'll say it again, ms wiggles sounds KICK ASS!!!