yo yo yo search it!

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

keith olbermann speaks

(again) and so very much better than i could

This hole in the ground

Half a lifetime ago, I worked in this now-empty space. And for 40 days after the attacks, I worked here again, trying to make sense of what happened, and was yet to happen, as a reporter.

All the time, I knew that the very air I breathed contained the remains of thousands of people, including four of my friends, two in the planes and -- as I discovered from those "missing posters" seared still into my soul -- two more in the Towers.

And I knew too, that this was the pyre for hundreds of New York policemen and firemen, of whom my family can claim half a dozen or more, as our ancestors.

I belabor this to emphasize that, for me this was, and is, and always shall be, personal.

And anyone who claims that I and others like me are "soft,"or have "forgotten" the lessons of what happened here is at best a grasping, opportunistic, dilettante and at worst, an idiot whether he is a commentator, or a Vice President, or a President..........

4 comments:

Beach Bum said...

I saw the video of him giving his commentary. He was awesome, the points he made clearly struck home like the laser guided bombs Bush loves to use. The only drawback was that Bush was not forced to answer him.

Unknown said...

i don't have cable so i don't normally watch him. i do get to watch some things on demand when i go to my pops house, but i don't think mr olbermann is on - on demand

you're right of course BUT even if king george was there, i'm sure it just would have gone over his head

Beach Bum said...

Sadly, I am forced to watch video segments of Olberman on the internet. Dragonwife and I have the basic Dish Network package which does not include MSNBC but for some reason does include CNBC which even fewer people watch.
Olberman's ability to call a pig a pig without worrying who he might disturb is refreshing. I usually watch Brian Williams who I do like but I think he was far too easy on the Chickenhawk-in-Chief in the most recent interview. Olberman would been all in Bush's face calling him out as the stupid fool he is.

Unknown said...

i read most of my news on the net. msnbc and cnn (of course i go to rawstory and buzzflash and commondreams and the smirking chimp, etc FIRST)

my friend owns a local pub and when i watch the news, i usually put it on in there (i get control of one of the tvs). most of the time i just put it on the sci fi channel or animal planet