yo yo yo search it!

Monday, June 12, 2006

no laptop this weekend

so i didn't blog. this morning while combing through stories, i really didn't find anything i wanted to post. same old same old for the most part. UNTIL i came across this story. it's not earth shattering, it's simply interesting. a character study sort of..........

Most Notorious -- Erik van der Ryjgyn's fascinating - but fictional - life fooled all

By Leslie Slape
Jun 11, 2006 - 12:38:11 am PDT

In 1949-50, Erik van der Ryjgyn was the darling of the Longview-Kelso area. Fans of the KWLK news broadcaster tuned in every night to hear his delicious British accent. He was wined and dined by the upper crust, and his fascinating life put him in demand as a public speaker."I still remember the buzz that was around Longview when he was here," said Buffe Antilla, who knew him only by reputation. "He seemed to refresh the entire community with all the things he had done.""He was supposedly an interpreter for the U.N.," said Holly Bishop, whose wife, Bobbie, worked for van der Ryjgyn's dentist. "She said he told her he was a concert pianist."Van der Ryjgyn (pronounced RY-gin) claimed to be from South Africa and said he also lived in Kenya, where his family had an import-export business. He presented himself as an expert on African criminal law when he spoke to the Cowlitz County Bar Association.But Erik van der Ryjgyn was a sham, from his highfalutin history to his posh accent to his exotic Afrikaner name.'As though they were hosting royalty'.......

.........Many folks were hornswoggled."Women adored him. He spoke at women's clubs and service clubs," said Bishop, who said he never had any reason to disbelieve van der Ryjgyn. "He was very suave, he was smooth, a very likable young fella. He fooled everybody in the city."Bishop said van der Ryjgyn was even made an honorary deputy sheriff............

11 comments:

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

I befriended a gentleman in college and it wasn't until six months later after hearing all his tales of Africa, priviledge, and thousands of adventures that he was found out to be from Missori. Born and raised. A sociopath in the making. (Or an accomplised sociopath?)

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Missouri, that is... Although, I'd imagine, if you ask him there is a country he visited once named Missori... :>)

Unknown said...

i know a man who is absolutely a pathologic sociopath. he wouldn't know the truth if it bit him on his three piece set. his WHOLE FAMILY is like that too. it is something to behold.

Anonymous said...

I'm the writer of the Erik van der Ryjgyn story, and I'm flattered that you posted it. :)
He's a fascinating character study indeed. I'm going to write a book about him.

Unknown said...

leslie, first i'd like to apologize for NOT posting your name under the story title. i ALWAYS do, in this case i was careless and i'm sorry.

thanks for stopping by and i'd LOVE to read your book when it's completed

Anonymous said...

I will let you know when the book comes out. Like all first-time authors, I fantasize it will be a best-seller and made into a hit film, and I can quit my day job. But I'll settle for the thrill of seeing my name on the spine.

Enjoyed your profile. We like some of the same music, movies and books.

Unknown said...

thanks leslie! i am SURE fame and forture will find you. just don't forget those who have helped you along the way. what goes around comes around

i'll look for more of your articles in the meantime

YFlan said...

Leslie,

Please update me on your book! I am the World-Class Con Man's grand-daughter (Tom's daughter), don't remember meeting him, though I'm told I did when I was a toddler.

Loved the article - great job! Glad you found my Uncle John - he's terrific.

I'm surprised I pass background checks with this guy in my ancestry!

Please update me on the book - glad to assist in any way possible.

Yvonne Flanagan
yflanagan (AT) att.net

Yvonne Flanagan said...

Leslie - hi there - two plus years later!! What's the book status? I'll try to email you at the paper in addition to this post.

Van Der Rygin (aka Tom J Flanagan)'s son Danny passed away two days ago...John (who I think you spoke with) and my Dad Tom and their mom Yvonne (my namesake) remain...and we'd all love to read the book if it's still in the works!

Please let me know; I am happy to assist you in any way I can - and many thanks to The Morrigan for this forum!! Best, Yvonne (yflanagan@att.net)

Unknown said...

i'm not writing a book and i'm not leslie

Leslie S. said...

Hi, I'm Leslie, author of the con man story, and I stepped away from the idea of writing a novel about Erik van der Rjygyn (Tom Flanagan) in favor of writing a play about some other historical characters I first wrote about in the paper. But now that the play is finished, I find myself back here, only now I'm going to make this into a play, too. I've located Yvonne (who posted above) and updated her.