yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

an interesting read

i hear stories from time to time about the eunuchs in india. i didn't know about them threatening to disrupt parties if they weren't given a bribe though. not a very great way to make a living. then again, like here they are shunned and misunderstood. i'm not making excuses for anyone's immoral (in my judgment of course) behavior (the demanding of money part that is) but it's GOT to be unbelievably hard

Bullied by the Eunuchs
I don't know how they found me, but they demanded baksheesh. If I didn't yield, they might do something unseemly, but I refused to give in.

By Henry Chu Times Staff Writer June 7, 2006

NEW DELHI The eunuchs came calling before I'd even moved in.On a recent afternoon, as I stood surrounded by a dozen workers hammering, sawing and drilling in my new apartment, they materialized out of nowhere, two sari-clad women with suspiciously mannish features.The taller one had a broad face, a big nose and a purple sari a color I like, but not on her. The other was thin, almost bird like, in every way: face, body, voice. Something about their manner, or their rather harsh, heavily made-up look, put me on guard."Yes?" I said cautiously.The tall one launched into a stream of Hindi. Newly posted to India, I know little of the language. But one word I did recognize, baksheesh (tip), clued me in to what was going on that and the fact that the voice repeating it over and over was a richer baritone than mine. I was being hit up for a handout by one of this country's many hijras.They are eunuchs or otherwise transgendered people by birth, accident or choice. Something between male and female, they are shunned by Indian society as unclean. Many make a rough living through prostitution or by crashing weddings, birthday parties and other festive occasions, threatening to disrupt the celebrations with vulgar behavior and to bring bad luck unless they are paid off. And now they were in my living room............

No comments: