yo yo yo search it!

Thursday, April 02, 2009

i took the pledge

stop by the link below to show your tweet support and your facebook support as well



spread the word to end the word


Posted by: Rachel in Disability Issues, Do Something

The casual use of the word “retarded” just sets my teeth on edge. I can’t tell you the number of self-described liberals/progressives I hear use it. I’ve actually thrown down with more than one friend - again, people who work in progressive nonprofits, in civil rights, in advocacy - over its use, and been told it’s not a big deal, it’s not an insult to people with disabilities, or I’m just being too sensitive.

So I’m more than happy to pass this along. Special Olympics has launched a campaign, “Spread the Word to End the Word,” to get people to think about how their language affects others. They offer a lot of ways to support the effort...........

No comments: