yo yo yo search it!

Saturday, March 07, 2009

i think both of these generals are courageous

if you don't think generals and majors and commanders and lieutenants (and any other officer i've forgotten to name) are not effected by what they've seen and done and ordered others to do, in combat you're a stooge. i wouldn't want someone in charge who doesn't have a psyche or a soul or a heart or a conscience or morals. thanks to brig. general gary s. patton and gen. carter ham!

Generals share their experience with PTSD
By Larry Shaughnessy and Barbara Starr
CNN
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Army generals aren't known for talking about their feelings.

But two high-ranking officers are doing just that, hoping that by going public they can remove the stigma that many soldiers say keeps them from getting help for post-traumatic stress disorder.

Brig. General Gary S. Patton and Gen. Carter Ham have both sought counseling for the emotional trauma of their time in the Iraq war.

"One of our soldiers in that unit, Spec. Robert Unruh, took a gunshot wound to the torso, I was involved in medevacing him off the battlefield. And in a short period of time, he died before my eyes," Patton told CNN in an exclusive interview. "That's a memory [that] will stay with me the rest of my life."

Ham was the commander in Mosul when a suicide bomber blew up a mess tent. Twenty-two people died.

"The 21st of December, 2004, worst day of my life. Ever," Ham said. "To this day I still ask myself what should I have done differently, what could I have done as the commander responsible that would have perhaps saved the lives of those soldiers, sailors, civilians."....

No comments: