yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

this article almost slipped by my eyes


but in the end, i DID catch it. i don't think i was aware leonard cohen was an observant jew (i KNEW he practiced buddhism). i never saw him live. i sure would like to.

musically, he shaped my life just as much as anyone else (buffy sainte marie, joni, bessie smith, billie holiday, mississippi john hurt, pentangle, tim buckley, john fahey, fairport convention, bob dylan, joan baez, are a few others but leonard stands up in the top five)

On the Road, for Reasons Practical and Spiritual
By LARRY ROHTER
The day after his first American concert in more than 15 years, Leonard Cohen sat in a Manhattan hotel suite warily submitting to an interviewer’s questions, including one about the music in his laptop’s iTunes. In response, he played a klezmer-style Hebrew hymn, then followed it by singing along with one of George Jones’s weepy country morality tales. “I’ve had choices since the day that I was born,/There were voices that told me right from wrong,” Mr. Cohen crooned in his stern baritone. “If I had listened, no, I wouldn’t be here today,/Living and dying with the choices I’ve made.”..........




you gotta go here to hear jeff buckley's version (embedding is disabled). but DO go. it's worth it




picture:
Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times
Leonard Cohen will embark on a two-month North American tour in April.

No comments: