yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

i started off my life - in the hood

yes, i lived in what is now a neighborhood that is all black. i'm not black. i don't pretend to be. i also don't pretend to understand what is IS like to be a person of color.

i know a FEW things. i know what it's like to be discriminated against because of the genitalia you were born with. i know what it's like to be discriminated against because of your weight. i know what it's like to be discriminated against because of your spiritual beliefs or lack thereof. i know what it's like to be discriminated against because of your outward appearance (different than weight. i'm talking choice of clothing, jewelry and makeup). yes, i know these things. i don't know what it would be like to have a skin color other than my own on top of all of that.

if you don't think we're a prejudiced and racist society, look at what happened during this very campaign with SOME people (turns out they don't make up 1/2 of the voting public though. praise the goddess). we DO profile. we DO cross the street when we see a black man. (turns out we even invent loads o' crimes involving that ever enigmatic 6'4" big black man). is there a crack starting to form in the shell of the united states? (a GOOD crack. one that opens an egg of understanding, compassion, hope, joy, sharing, education)

if i feel like i do (see a post or two ago where i describe how i feel) and i'm white, i can't even imagine how i'd feel if i was a person of color. and hey whoopi i yelled out MY window too

Whoopi Goldberg: We Have Finally Become Part of the Fabric of the United States of America


A moment about history.

Tonight as I watched the numbers come in, I was cautiously optimistic that there would be a big change — but I wasn’t fully convinced. And then I called my mom, and the numbers kept changing and moving forward, and I said to her, “Ma, did you ever in your life think you would see this day?” And she said emphatically, “No. I never thought I’d live to see this day.” And it surprised me because my mom is the most optimistic person that I know and it never occurred to me that this was something she was hoping for. Not just because it was a black candidate, but because it meant that anything was again possible in the United States of America.

I’m being black about his, I’m celebrating in my heart and I have screamed out of my window. I realized that for probably the first time in my life, in thinking about myself as an American, it occurred to me that this is really our arrival in the country that said everything was possible. We have finally become part of the fabric of the United States of America. This is just strictly speaking as a black person. It would be very difficult not to talk about the thrill of that part of it because 160 years have gone by and we have finally come to the place where we are ready for leaders and ready to look at leaders as men and women and perhaps not by their color. But it is the first time it has happened so folks should not be surprised that black folks are really, really happy about this. .................

2 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

A few of my African-American friends have questioned my sincerity at time when I speak of racism since I amd white and they can't see how I would notice it. I have to tell them that since I am white with at least a tiny spark of intelligence all I have to do is listen to how other white people speak when black people are not around. The thing that puzzles me is that how some whites can honestly claim with a straight face how they are not prejudice but yet hold hateful opinions about people because they have a pale skin. Another reason I doubt that humans are an intelligent species.

Unknown said...

we ALL (and i do mean ALL. i mean people of every hue, not just white) hold our own prejudices inside. we can't help it. that stems out of us either being ignorant or afraid (i don't mean ignorant in a horrid way here. i just mean void of knowledge in a particular area). have you ever watched kids play together? they don't give a flying yoo hoo what color you are, what you look like, what church you do or do not go to, if you're going to grow up to be gay or straight. we (as adults) poison their minds. i don't know what happens to us as we grow up. do parts of our brains de-evolve?