yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

i read a story in today's msnbc.com that made me VERY angry

here's a comment i left after reading the story:

i've been a vegetarian for well over 30 years and vegan for very many of them. i try not to pass judgement but in this case it's hard to hold back
#1) i'm so very sorry ms de vita-raeburn is not secure enough to make her OWN mind up about eating meat (i'm guessing it must go well beyond the meat issue though - extending to most other things and issues in her life) but must rely on a boyfriend OR her family members OR her friends. i don't care if she eats meat or not. what i care about is every time she goes off of eating meat for a week or a day or an HOUR, she refers to herself as vegetarian. SHE IS NOT NOR HAS SHE EVER BEEN ONE
#2) i'm sorry ms de vita-raeburn is not secure enough about her body. it's a problem most if not ALL american women suffer from. however, to be deathly afraid of gaining a pound or two is grounds to seek out counseling
#3) i'm sorry ms de vita-raeburn 'blames' the italian culture for some of her lapses in meat eating/non meat eating (i am italian and that is simply ridicules. there are so many non meat/fish/fowl italian meals out there it's beyond freedom and dignity. same with MOST if not ALL ethnic foods/recipes).
#4) i just don't get why ms de vita-raeburn wrote this article and#5) i don't get why msnbc published it


and here's a link to the actual story:

Ambivalent vegetarian faces meat of the matter
After years of experimenting, food lover still torn when she picks up a menu


By Elizabeth DeVita-Raeburn

Every time I sit down to eat at a restaurant, it’s the same dilemma: Should I choose what I want or order vegetarian? Sometimes I’m lucky and what I want is meatless. But if what I really want is the boeuf bourguignon or the veal pepperonata, I squirm, caught between moral horror, my taste buds and a desire not to be the “weird” vegetarian. I’m 38, and I have been engaged in this internal war, off and on, for nearly 20 years. I have been a vegetarian, semivegetarian and old-fashioned carnivore. Right now, I eat everything — but with a pervasive sense of unease. I thought my dilemma would get clearer over time — that my sense of what’s right, at least right for me, would have naturally evolved toward some conclusion. But it hasn’t. I’m more torn than ever. ........

please note - as stated in my comments above, i really don't care if she eats meat or not. i care that she's a pussy about it AND i care that tripe like this is being published

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT RANT . . . you go, Rose. Get her! I like a good old fashioned righteous rant.

For myself, I'm a gun-toting, meat-eating Liberal and I'm damned proud of it. My gf is vegan - darned near macrobiotic. And even though I'm not vegetarian I only eat meat a couple times a week because I don't believe in overdoing it - everything in moderation. Our ancient ancestors didn't eat meat every meal - only when it was available, and that wasn't too often.

Unknown said...

i just had to rant. this whiny woman pissed me off. rick you KNOW i don't care if someone is vegan or not. as a matter of fact, i just got my pops a weber grill. i've been grilling him burgers and weenies and chicken. however, most of the time i cook for him, he's perfectly content with vegetarian or even vegan.

i don't cook meat in my own home, but i will cook it for others in THEIR homes...(i know it's odd).

rick, most cultures don't eat meat at EVERY meal. perhaps a couple of times a week.

Anonymous said...

exactly . . . our digestive systems are highly evolved for a certain variety of foods . . . it's not good to restrict ourselves to meat and corn (which is the primary ingredient in over 80% of processed foods in the supermarket).

Eat some greens, people. Take a chance on a good old-fashioned squash. Berries, fruit, and a handful of pine nuts . . .

Food is better in variety than it is in quantity.

Unknown said...

man oh man do i love SQUASH. well i love ALL fruits and vegetables and legumes (except cabbage, brussel sprouts AND cantelope. can't explain that one. watermelon is my favorite fruit of all time and i love honeydews and all other melons....funny how our taste buds are)

squash risotto
squash ravioli
squash on the grill
mmmmmmm squash
(i like winter squash better than summer - in case i'm ever invited over for dinner)