yo yo yo search it!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

another gun incident

this one ended without bloodshed. it's a miracle it did. if you read this blog, you know my feelings on guns.

Student, 13, fires assault rifle in Missouri school

JOPLIN, Missouri (AP) -- Fascinated by the Columbine bloodbath, a 13-year-old boy in a dark green trench coat and mask carried an assault rifle into his school Monday, pointed it at students and fired a shot into a ceiling before the weapon jammed, authorities said. No one was hurt.
"Please don't make me do this," he was quoted as telling administrators before police arrested him and thwarted what they called a "well thought-out plan" to terrorize his school.
Police said a note in the student's backpack indicated he had planted an explosive in the school, but no bombs were found.
Lt. Geoff Jones said the boy's motives were unclear. School officials said the student had no major disciplinary problems.
The seventh-grader, whose name was not immediately released, pointed the gun at two students inside Joplin Memorial Middle School but was confronted by an administrator who tried to talk him into putting the gun down, Jones said.
The boy refused and fired a shot into the ceiling of an entryway, police said. He tried to continue firing but the rifle jammed, according to Jones. The student then left the building......


............Jones said the gun belonged to the boy's parents, who kept the weapon in a safe at home. The parents told police their son apparently knew the combination to the gun safe. Farmer said it is not uncommon for people in the area to own assault weapons........

WTF????? why do people in the area need assault weapons? to bring them into schools and start blasting away?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do people need assault weapons?

Well, I'd say they don't except I'm afraid I'm going to need some automatic weapons to protect myself and my family from my government.

pissed off patricia said...

This sort of thing never happened when I was in school (yes, they had invented guns when I was in school) What is the cause of it now? Why do kids think of such things? We had a gun, or I should say guns, in our house when I was a kid but I never wanted to touch them and knew if I did, all hell would break loose. It was just something that never even crossed my mind.

Unknown said...

cv rick, i'll protect you and your family without guns. i am a rather imposing (looking) woman. of course i'm really not violent (unless someone comes after a friend for family member). i just look a bit different and people pre judge me (that is not to say i don't play off of that at times)

p o p

we never had guns. my pops grew up raising and trapping and catching and eating all sorts of animals. he was in the service (he was actually underage when he joined). i never asked him if he ever fired a gun. i don't think i want to know. i do know he never had one in the house. when we were kids, he owned a neighborhood bar. it was NOT in a good hood either. i know he never had a gun there either (i know he used to keep a bat under the bar because i have a picture of him with that bat). some of my friends parents had guns (when i was young). like you, if they or i or ANYONE touched those guns, goddess help them. they just didn't even think of it, EVER.

i state again, there is NO NEED for ANY civilian to own a gun

oh and p o p, i am vegan and when i cook for my pops (which is frequently) he be lovin' him some non-killed animal stuff (including TOFU)

pinkfem said...

Rose, my kids have gone in and out of being vegan. It takes discipline!!

Anonymous said...

Rose, here is where you and I are going to have to disagree. I'm not only a liberal, but I'm a gun owner. I don't have a problem with gun laws, registration and such, but I do believe that it's my duty to be prepared to defend myself against tyranny.

However, aside from that disagreement, I have a proposal:

What we need is liberals with guns.

Imagine 500 liberal protesters with rifles marching down Market Street in San Francisco. How much attention would that grab? I think that it would put a lot more fear, and give the current administration a lot more reason to think, than some lame sit-in with protesters being dragged away by police.

What if they marched on the White House? Would the Secret Service allow it? Could they not? How much would the NRA freak out if the White House took away people's constitutional right to walk down the street carrying a gun? How much would it hurt the administration if they suddenly started trouncing on people's 2nd amendment rights?

Would it be risky and dangerous? Absolutely yes. But do we just play at outrage, or are we truly OUTRAGED? When will we reach the point of outrage where we're willing to take some real risks to protect our freedoms?

Unknown said...

pinkfem, for me NO discipline for vegetarianism but i agree, it does take it for veganism. i am not an angel. i know there are things i eat every once in a while that perhaps have an egg in it (like a cookie someone baked from work). i try my best to NOT do those types of things though. none of this is for health either. i'm quite fond of the potato chip

cv rick, i knew you owned gun(s). i could just tell. i STILL like ya though. we are going to disagree here and you know it. i'd never march down the street with any type of gun (unless as i said, i had to literally protect my friends and family from imminent and real life threatening danger)

i AM truly outraged and i don't want to use a weapon other than my mind to get that across (well my hand gesturest too. after all i am italian)

Unknown said...

gestures too (mis type)