yo yo yo search it!

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

oh no (that he's leaving) but me me me me me i'll take the job!


Epstein quits as Red Sox general manager 31-year-old turns down three-year deal worth $1.5 million annually
The Associated Press
Updated: 3:30 a.m. ET Nov. 1, 2005
BOSTON - At 31, boy wonder Theo Epstein was ready to step out on his own.
The Red Sox general manager walked away from his hometown team on Monday, stunning Boston and the baseball world just one year after helping the franchise win its first World Series championship since 1918.
“I gave my entire heart and soul to the organization,” Epstein said in a statement. “During the process leading up to today’s decision, I came to the conclusion that I can no longer do so. In the end, my choice is the right one not only for me but for the Red Sox.”
Epstein will continue working for a few days to assist in the transition and prepare for the offseason. The Boston Herald, which first reported the news on its Web site, said the Yale graduate has told associates that he might leave baseball, or at least take a year off.
The Dodgers, Phillies and Devil Rays have GM openings, but none has a $120 million payroll to match the one Epstein was given in Boston. The Los Angeles Times reported that the Dodgers had no comment on Epstein, though owner Frank McCourt, a Boston native, could be interested.
And who will the Red Sox get to replace Epstein? The Boston Globe reported that Padres GM Kevin Towers, a favorite of Red Sox president Larry Lucchino, is the early favorite..................
Once the youngest GM in baseball history and still the youngest to assemble a World Series champion, Epstein was reportedly offered about $1.5 million a year for a three-year extension. That was quadruple his previous salary but still short of the $2.5 million the Red Sox offered Oakland’s Billy Beane in 2002 before hiring Epstein.

No comments: