yo yo yo search it!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

bbc you made the right decision

it's part of the song. it's IN CONTEXT. if you LISTEN to the song you'll see that. they're drunk, they're fighting. i don't like the words but it fits the song
it is my fourth favorite christmas song of all time.

my third is: the first noel by crash test dummies
my second is; The Hallelujah Chorus by the roches
my first is: the christians and the pagans by dar williams (a sure way to get me to cry is to play this OR talk about the movie field of dreams OR the wizard of oz OR.....)

Radio 1 backs down in Pogues row

BBC Radio 1 has said it will allow the Pogues' Fairytale of New York to be played on the station uncut, after criticism of a decision to censor it.
The words "slut" and "faggot" had been dubbed out from the 20-year-old festive hit by station executives.
But after a day of criticism from listeners, the band, and the mother of singer Kirsty MacColl, they changed their minds.
Controller Andy Parfitt said the original decision was "wrong".
The BBC had said that an edited version would be played because "some members of the audience might find it offensive". .........

(i miss you kristy mccoll)







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard that song before . . . I really like it. I always like The Pogues when I hear them, but then I forget about them, until I hear them again.

Thanks.

Oh, and the BBC . . . I remember when I lived in England the number one song for over 30 weeks was Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood and yet it was banned on BBC Radio . . . so they'd get to it on the countdown and just announce that it was number one and apologize for not playing it.

Weird thing, BBC . . . weird.

Unknown said...

i listen to them most every morning on npr. they're on at about 3 am (give or take) eastern time. i know it's not the 'normal bbc, but i STILL LOVE IT. i understand not wanting to use the words slut and faggot in most cases. but the piece of art should be judged on it's own merit. the people singing that song are all f**ked up. drunk and goddess knows what else. they're in nyc and clearly don't belong. they're so out of it, they're using words to try to hurt each other (hence the slut and faggot). again, the song DESERVES to be played. it's a christmas classic
(that song and, 'and the band played waltzing mathilda also by them get to my very soul. THAT is what music is all about)