yo yo yo search it!

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

little buddah


Artist Hiro Yamagata sits Aug. 1 inside a holographic cube built for an upcoming exhibition at his studio in Torrance, Calif. Yamagata plans to commemorate two destroyed fifth-century Buddha statues by projecting multicolored laser images onto the clay cliffsides where they once stood.



Bringing back Afghan Buddhas, with light
L.A. artist to ‘re-create’ laser versions of structures destroyed by Taliban


.........LOS ANGELES - When the former Taliban regime in Afghanistan destroyed two 1,600-year-old Buddha statues lining Bamiyan Valley’s soaring cliffs, the world shook with shock at the demise of such huge archaeological treasures.
Now, artist Hiro Yamagata plans to commemorate the towering Buddhas by projecting multicolored laser images onto the clay cliffsides where the figures once stood, about 80 miles west of Kabul...............
...........In March 2001, Taliban militants disregarded worldwide protests and used dynamite and artillery to blow up the original fifth-century statues, famed for their size and location along the ancient Silk Road linking Europe and Central Asia. The fundamentalist group considered the Buddhas idolatrous and anti-Muslim..........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Overheard- 76th & Broadway, Upper West Side.

"PLEASE! PLEASE! CAN YOU JUST WAIT UNTIL I GET IT OUT OF THE BOTTLE JJJJEEEESUUUS!"
He jerks the top from the prescription bottle of Zanax 100 mg. tablets. As he tries to pour two from the bottle, his hands shake so badly he drops the bottle, spilling the
entire contents over the subway grating.
"AAAAAAAGHGHGHGHGHHGHSHHHHHHIIIIIIT! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FFFFFFUUUUCK!
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! I AM SO DEAD MEAT! I MEAN I AM LIKE DIESEL DEAD! SHE'S GONNA KILL ME! SHE WILL SO FUCKING CUT MY BALLS OFF! I CANNOT EVEN COME HOME NOW! HEY, LADY!" He practically yanks the sleeve of a pasing woman.
"HEY, YEAH YOU! Please, please can I use your cell phone. I mean I'm in serious shit. I am in serious mucho el shitareno la caca el stinko. Please let me use your cell phone.
PUUUUUUUHLEEEEEASE LADEEEEEE!" She hands him her phone. He takes it.
"Thanks."
He keys in the number, waits...
He begins speaking. He is sssssoooo sweet and sssooo ass-kissing.
"Hooooooney? Hoooooney? Hiiii sweetheart. Oooooooohhh... fine. Yeah giiiiirl baaaaby doll, just reeeeealy fiiine. Liiisten... had a littow bitty pwobwem wif de big bad bottow. Yeah, baby-baby-doll. Siwwy cochon dwopped the fuckin' bottow aaaaaaaaaallll ovaw the subway gwating and... and... huh? What? What's that sugaw babeeee? Aaaawww... that's not nize wittow wone. To tawk wike vat to you sweeeeeet wittow boyeeeee. Huh? Huh? What? WHAT? WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME! OH YEAH? REALLY?
REEEEEEEEEEEALEEEEEE? WELL FUCK YOU TOO! YEAH THAT'S RIGHT FUCK YOU, PSYCHO-BITCH-FROM-HELL! YEAH! YEAH AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT... IT'S... LIKE WHY... AAAAHHHHHH SHHHHHHIT! FUCK OFF! YEAH! YEAH! THAT'S WHAT I SAID, NORMAN BATES' LONG LOST COUSIN! FUCK OFF! WHAT? WHAT? SAY AGAIN? I KNOW! I know!. I remember. Yeah sure. Yeah. Yeah, sure. Butter. But the danish kind. And bagels. Yeah I know. I knbow babylove! Bagels from Zabar's. O.K. Love you too, pumpkin. Be home soon."
He starts to walk away, then remembers and turns back.
"Oh yeah, by the way, I really love your blog. Really sweet. Really Out there. Cool."